The way benefits are calculated are changing from 2013. You may be affected so please call us on
03000 120 120 if you are worried about how the changes are going to affect you.
We are aware that many Alliance Homes tenants and support service clients sometimes struggle with financial issues and difficulties. We have two specialist caseworkers, Kerry Miller and Matthew Rutter, who will work with you on a one-to-one basis.
Your debts may not disappear but we can help to significantly reduce the stress that debt causes.
Our caseworkers also deliver training courses and other types of support that can help to prevent financial problems arising in the future.
Some examples of the support we can provide are:
- Helping you to accurately identify your 'incomings' and 'outgoings'.
- Helping you to develop a realistic household budget.
- Prioritising your debts to try and avoid unnecessary penalities and sanctions being applied against you.
- Helping you to maximise your income by claiming appropriate benefits, tax advantages or other sources of income.
- Negotiating with creditors on your behalf to agree affordable repayment plans.
- Advising you on the best strategy to deal with multiple or other complex debt problems.
Who can receive the service?
This service is for any adult who is a tenant of Alliance Homes.
How much will the service cost?
There is no charge to you for this service. It is paid for by Alliance Homes as part of our committment to transforming local communities and offering practical support and innovative solutions to problems.
How long can I receive the support?
It varies depending on your individual circumstances. Normally you should expect to receive support for a period of three months.
How do I apply for support from this service?
You can complete one of our referral forms or someone else can do this on your behalf. If you think you need help to apply, please contact us.
How can I find out more?
We are happy to answer your questions. Please contact our support services on 03000 120 120 and ask for the Financial Inclusion Team.
The following is a real life example of support provided to one of our clients.
Mrs A was referred when bailiffs called at her house because of an outstanding Council Tax debt. She was working part time, struggling to pay for basic needs and not making any payments on multiple debts which totalled over £5,000.
Our caseworkers helped Mrs A to improve her financial position by:
- Reducing her electricity costs.
- Putting in place a realistic household budget.
- Negotiating reduced debt repayments on an outstanding water bill.
- Putting in a successful benefits appeal which resulted in a large back payment of Housing Benefit and Council Tax.
- Successfully applying to a charitable fund which agreed to pay a sum of money towards her utility bills for one year.
- Applying for a debt relief order (a form of insolvency) which, subject to acceptance, will mean that Mrs A's remaining debts will be written off after one year.
My Home Finance
My Home Finance works in partnership with us and offers affordable loans, money advice, bank accounts and savings accounts to all Alliance Homes tenants. The purpose of this service is to help those who can't or don't wish to access high street lending or loans from payday lenders or loan sharks who charge very high interest rates.
To find out more, My Home Finance can be contacted through their website - http://www.myhomeenergyswitch.org.uk/ - or by calling their customer helpline on 0845 838 7597.