Support for adult carers
We recognise that caring for someone can be very rewarding. It can also be very stressful and lonely, and can have a significant impact on your emotional and physical health and your financial wellbeing.
Many carers, whatever their age, reach a point at which they need help. But asking for help is hard. Whatever your situation, just get in touch with us and have an informal chat. We can help.
What we offer
We work with you to understand the impact of your caring responsibilities on your life. This can be a more formal process (‘a carers assessment’) or simply an informal chat. We offer:
- Information and advice
- Practical support to identify problems/find solutions related to your caring role
- Help to ‘navigate’ the system and ensure that you (and the person you care for) receive all of the help and support you are entitled to
- Access to financial help and support
- Opportunities to meet with other carers
- Support to understand your rights and choices
- Support to look after your own wellbeing
Maintaining and finding employment can be difficult when you have caring responsibilities, with up to 600 people giving up work every day to care for a relative. Our Employment adviser works with Young Adult and Adult Carers aged 18+ across North Somerset. The type of support we offer includes;
- Identifying your aspirations
- Accessing training and education, including those aspiring to further education
- Practical skills with CV writing and interview techniques
- Support with job search and identifying employment opportunities
- Employer liaison to help maintain current employment
- Accessing volunteering opportunities
The support offered will depend on your circumstances and we’ll focus on what you need and want to achieve.